Saturday, March 3, 2007

My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)

My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) by Neil Young

I think it's safe to say that the late 70s and the late 90s were two of the worst periods for rock music. Bread, REO Speedwago, Styx, Boston, etc all were far too 'big' in the 70s and Britney, Christina, 'N Sync, and the Backstreet Boys were far to big in the 90s. Not to say all those bands were bad, I enjoy Britney's "Toxic" as much as I enjoy a few Boston songs, but it wasn't really a time to rock out. Anyway, my uncle gave me "Rust Never Sleeps" in the late 90s and told me how in the late 70s the line "Rock'n'roll can never die" was sort of a rallying call; a sort of, 'things might be shitty now, but rock will be back'. Looking at the music I heard on the radio, the line easily registered with me also. And rock came back by the time I was leaving for college in 2000. I love this song and the album... and let's not forget that Kurt Cobain jotted down "It's better to burn out/than to fade away" in his suicide note. Shit, you could write a lot on this song.

Listen:

1 comment:

Otter said...

This song is so cool. I went to the Neil Young concert after this album came out, then went to Quetico that Summer and wore that T-Shirt the entire trip.
You have redeemed yourself young Obie-Wan. Your elders are proud.