Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Chewing Gum

Chewing Gum by Annie

I've seen Annie twice. Both times I was convinced that I was witnessing history - like seeing Kylie or Madonna at the very beginning of their careers. So far, almost unjustly, Annie hasn't seen the success that either one of those females have seen. I guesses there is time. But whenever I feel like pop music has nothing else to offer besides generic crap; I hear something like "Chewing Gum" and think, it ain't over yet. This song is just infectious and while the lyrics aren't mind blowing, but they are fun and damn mean. When I hear Annie sing about treating men as chewing gum, I actually like it. Good for her. We live in an age when Sex and the City is viewed as female liberating show, and to me it only 'liberates' women to act like men (which seems hypocritical to the entire feminist movement imo). I think I would like Carrie and her 'friends' a lot more if they acted more like Annie in "Chewing Gum" rather than some sort of frat boy in $450 shoes, and hates the Subway.

Watch:

3 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

I like it.

Otter said...

I like it too. Did Eliz turn you on to Annie?

Otter said...

No, I found Annie on my own (and thanks to Pitchfork which named another one of her songs #1).