Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bold As Love

Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix

I know I've said that I had nothing and no one in high school, no one to get me into this band or that band (like Pavement). But that's sort of a lie, I did have Andrew. It helped that we went to different high schools, so by default we ran with different crowds. But we shared a love for music. We started off by going though our all father's old albums, so bands like the Kinks, the Band, and old Motown albums were unEarthed and played. We got to know 'deeper' Who and Stones tracks. We used to walk two towns over to go to a record store that had used tapes (for some reason we were really into tapes. If we would have known that mp3s were just around the corner, I doubt we would have bought all those freakin' tapes since they're pretty much impossible to rip; effing 1998). Anyway, Andrew and I pretty much went though every classic rock band discovering the pros and cons to each and every band in the process. We concluded that the Who rocked, that the Doors suck, and while we like Led Zepplin, in the end they aren't as good as everyone seems to think they are. We may have become music snobs, but it was fun. And it helped that we liked different types of music... I'm a sucker for the three cord pop song and power cords, Andrew preferred jam bands and sounds. And what this has to do with Bold As Love... not sure, but Andrew once described the solo at the end as Jimi trying to play underwater... I just think it's the best Jimi track out there.

Listen:

4 comments:

Otter said...

Great post.

IMHO, Hendrix is to music what Jordan is to basketball.

I never knew you disliked The Doors this much. Wow. So I apoligize about that comment the other day. No wonder you were so thrown.
If I remember right Andrew was really into The Dead. Do you you still see him?

Otter said...

It's not that I don't like the Doors, I just don't like them all that much (or think they're that great).

I see Andrew still, he's doing well.

Indigo Bunting said...

I love Hendrix, and I love "Bold as Love."

Good post. Not sure I completely agree with you on Zepplin, though...

Indigo Bunting said...

I seem to be into typos today.