Sunday, March 11, 2007

Locked in the Trunk of a Car

Locked in the Trunk of a Car by The Tragically Hip

Oh… the Hip. The Hip basically got me though the late 90s and thus high school. I'm not sure how or why, but they were about all I had (along with the Who, Beatles, etc) musically. I'm not sure how old I was when my uncle gave me Fully, Completely for Christmas, but I must have been about 14. I missed the genius of it all at the time, and it wasn't until my uncle threw a few Hip songs on a mix tape a year or two later than I was hooked. I went back, dug up this album, and it was placed in the rotation. I spent hours upon hours listening to Gordie's lyrics in high school (which I still don't fully understand, damn Canadians). The Hip seemed like the end of the world at the time... I had NO ONE. I don't think people understand this... I had NO ONE in high school. Pearl Jam offered up the underrated Yeild, but outside of that I had to pick between Dave Matthews, Britney, Boy Bands, random one hit wonders, and the Counting Crows. Sure Pavement and Neutral Milk Hotel and Wilco all existed; but I didn't have an older brother so Pavement was out. Neutral Milk Hotel were such a shot in the pan that it didn't matter, and Wilco hadn't released Summerteeth at that point. So I was left with the Tragically Hip. I must have made 100 people in high school listen to these fine men from Canada... and still today it's always fun to drop a Gordie reference to any Canuck I meet.

Last thing... for years I thought the opening lyrics were about anything but amour from the 16th century and a conquistador. And gotta love the "It'd be better for us if you don't understand/better for me if you don't understand."

Watch....
Listen:

2 comments:

Otter said...

You had no one yet you found someone. That Uncle Mike, he's so Tragically Hip. Did he turn you on to The Violent Femmes too?

Sabine said...

The boys in the band went to school up the road from me. I'm not much of a Hip fan, but I have seen them in concert, and I plan to put one of their songs on my blog. Maybe tomorrow.