Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Margaret vs Pauline

Margaret vs Pauline by Neko Case

If you read this, but now you know the deal with Neko Case and me, we like to take walks in Alexandria. This song is no different. But I love the lyrics of this here song: "Everything is so easy for Pauline…/Margaret is the fragments of a name" You know, I'm not a big lyrics guy myself. Usually I'll just become attached to one line of a song, like "Margaret is the fragments of a name" which just sounds so interesting and profound - I would love to write a line like that about someone, anyone. But frankly, I don't think there is anyone in my life where I could say such a thing. Because want does it really mean? No matter... I have no clue who I'd rather date. Pauline seems like the obvious answer, but I could also see Pauline being sort of a bitch - everything comes easier to her and she's rich. Margaret seems like a down on her luck, underappreciated - sort of like a male protagonist to most novels ever written. Then again, I guess this is sort of a "upper vs middle class" song, no wonder Pauline seems like the one to date. No matter this is such a pretty song, graceful and soothing. The sort of song that is perfect to walk to at 9 at night along the Potomac.

Listen to the MP3!

2 comments:

Helen said...

I liked this one. I know some Paulines...

Indigo Bunting said...

You may be turning me into a Neko Case fan.