Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pocahontas

Pocahontas by Neil Young
The Seventh Best Song


I don't know if this song is bittersweet, sad, or just beautifully written. The subject manner, the genocide of the Native Americans/Indians of the 18th and 19th century is a bit of a downer (a subject that most history books seem to forget). But there's a bit of lust in this song, lusting for Pocahontas. And the clean, crisp guitar is eerily pretty while also sounding somewhat vicious. No matter, there is something about this song that is so perfect. Maybe it is the mysteriousness of the song, the fact that I can't say, 'Oh listen to this part' which makes it so great. No matter, it's one of the best songs I've ever heard and I don't listen to it nearly enough, if for no other reason than the lyrics. The lyrics are interesting, I love the guitar, and I love the imagery at the end of the song - in fact I'm sure most writers would kill to write something like this:
And maybe Marlon Brando
Will be there by the fire
We'll sit and talk of Hollywood
And the good things there for hire
And the Astrodome
and the first tepee
Marlon Brando, Pocahontas and me
I love it.

Watch it (it starts about 2 and a half minutes in):

1 comment:

Helen said...

I really like your description of the guitar...