Monday, April 16, 2007

End of a Century

Random Programing Note: Since we've started doing this, we've just been using our top rated tracks on iTunes, hit the random button and whatever comes down the pipeline, we write about. It's worked thus far. But when End of a Century came down the pipeline, we started thinking about the best songs that we've ever heard... and concluded that End of a Century was on that list. So this week we'll feature our top eight songs, in order, of all time. These are songs that we consider to be the best of all time. Why eight? Because we realized after we started this that End of a Century was actually in eight place, not seventh. And yes, this was very difficult to do.

End of a Century by Blur
The Eight Greatest Song of All Time

If you were to ask me to make a list of the ten greatest songs of all time, this would make the list. I know this sounds sort of crazy, 'Blur,' you'd say, 'Blur is so British, I mean, who in America listens to Blur other than that one song?' And you might have a point. But listening to this song, I'll tell you what, this tune has pretty much everything that I'VE ever wanted in a song - horns, a kick ass hook, pleasant vocals, an awesome chours, and lyrics that don't bash you over the head in a "LISTEN TO ME I AM IMPORTANT" sort of way... yet still have meaning. From the opening with the guitar solo, to the steady rhythm guitar, Damon's voice, the horns... so the bridge isn't mind blowing, but it's pretty effin' good for a bridge. Gosh, what a great song.
We all say, don't want to be alone
We wear the same clothes cos we feel the same
And kiss with dry lips when we say goodnight
End of a century
Oh, its nothing special

Listen:

4 comments:

Otter said...

Before I read anymore, I need to know is Bob Doyle there with you?

Otter said...

I don't believe so.

Cedar Waxwing said...

I liked that song. Never heard of Blur though.

Helen said...

Me neither. I've never listened to "that one song", but I liked this one.