Friday, April 27, 2007

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Sunday, Bloody Sunday by U2

Personally, I've got to go with the live version off of "Under a Blood Red Sky". I just love the energy on the live version. Let me just make note of the militaristic drumbeat which U2 doesn't even attempt to hide. And yes, let's not forget The Edge's riff that attempts to force itself upon us. And, in case you didn't know, it's a song about the Troubles in Ireland and takes it's name from Bloody Sunday, when British troops open fire on a group of protesters. And I've always loved the line, "The real battle yet begun/To claim the victory Jesus won" It's a goodie.

Watch It:


I do think one of the more interesting things about this song is how it has become the protest song of the age. The late 60s and 70s had their fair share, and a long list, of protest songs because of Vietnam. But we haven't seen the same with Iraq. Sure there are songs out there (Bright Eyes, Rilo Keily, Greenday, and Pearl Jam have all knocked Bush or Iraq; and here is a list of other songs), but these songs have had limited or no cultural impact. I guess Greenday sold some albums and Pearl Jam probably sold their fair share... but there is no "For What It's Worth" or Country Joe & The Fish. So what we're left with is this song as a protest against the War in Iraq. I'm not sure if it takes away from U2's original meaning, Bono would probably argue that it was a song that protested violence everywhere, not just in Ireland. But I'm not so sure... but at the same time there is a void and this song appears to be filling this void.

George Bush "singing" Sunday, Bloody Sunday" which is one of the more powerful things I've seen in a while:


Lisa Bresnan singing to clips of the Iraq Ward: