Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile)

Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile) by Van Morrison

I sort of forgot about this song, as crazy as it sounds but I knew about this song before I even knew who Jackie Wilson was… this brings me back to the family room in the house I grew up in. It was a big room with high ceilings (there was no second floor above the family room). For some reason I'm being reminded of this three piece chest 'set' and each piece had it's own function: one held pictures, another had a few drawers, and the middle one held the stereo equipment, which in order to change CDs would require me and my sisters to stand atop of the chair - that was a few feet away from this three piece set - lean over, supporting ourselves with one hand by putting our weight on the chest, then using the other hand to change CDs. Thinking back, this was an extremely complicated and potentially dangerous activity. But we were kids. Kids do not mess things like that up, a kid would never slip and fall. For some reason, I think my balance as a kid was 100 times better than it is today - actually this makes sense, my center of gravity was lower back then. I'm sure if I were to attempt something like this today, I would be so worried about falling that it would take me much longer than necessary, and there's a good chance I would slip. Kids are amazing.

Listen here (Don't ask):

4 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

I love this story of balance...fabulous. I'm trying to not be too weirded out by a childhood involving a CD player, something I can't imagine...

Helen said...

Yes, that was my reaction too. I still remember 8-tracks...

Sabine said...

8-tracks! I remember them stopping halfway through a song, switching tracks, then picking up in the middle of the song again. I think my dad still has a bunch of stuff on reel-to-reel tapes.

Great song.

Otter said...

I bought my first CD when I was 10 or so... I think my dad got a CD player in 1988 or so, which means I was 6 or 7. I should say, I lived on tapes for years and years... it's only been since everything went digitial/mp3/iPod that I was forced to give up tapes (I own "OK Computer" on tape, which was the last tape I bought I think; I have since bought "OK Computer" on CD).

And yes, I did receive "Thriller" on vinyl.