Sunday, April 15, 2007

Rebecca Deville

Rebecca Deville by Mason Jennings

As I said, Mason is a good story teller. This song is no different. Poor Rebecca… I was going to skip this song. It's nice but it didn't mean anything to me. But how soon I forget. When I was living in London, it was difficult to listen to music that I enjoyed. I didn't own a laptop which housed all my music and I couldn't bring my CD collection across the Atlantic... so I was SOL. I did have my fathers a laptop for my months in London, but that only had the 20 CDs that I could import in the hour or so I had before leaving the USA (Don't ask me what my Desert Island 20 albums were at that time... I honestly don't remember besides The Strokes "Is This It", Graceland, a few Beatles, and Pete Yorn). So there I was in London stuck with the same 15 or 20 CDs for months upon months. I bought a few CDs while I was there (The Smiths, Blur, a Beulah EP), but CDs in London are really expensive. This left me bored with what I had after six weeks. But then came my ray of hope... EBS was coming to visit. I asked her ever so kindly to make me a CD of a few artists I liked. I gave her a list, I think U2 was on it and I forget the rest... but I know Mason Jennings was on that list. This was the days of Napster, so EBS DLed a few songs by Mason for me, burned them on to a CD, and came to London. I had never heard "Rebecca Devile" when EBS gave me that CD. I listened to it a bunch of times over the next five weeks, but then, when I returned to the USA, the song was gone. Lost... until Mason put out some sort of something on iTunes about a year ago. And wouldn't you know, Rebecca Devile was there and I downloaded it. Thanks E.

No comments: