Friday, April 13, 2007

Road To Joy

Road To Joy by Bright Eyes

The first song I ever learned on the guitar was ""Ode to Joy"". I was 10 and I had no clue who Beethoven was until this moment in my life. I have yet to forget how to play that short sweet melody on the guitar, in fact for years it was all I actually knew by heart. But the point is, I can spot Ode To Joy from 2,873 miles away. So when I heard Road to Joy, it took me all of ten seconds to realize what was going on here: Conor Oberst was using "Ode To Joy" to write and protest song. This was ingenious to me. And the lyrics them self, hey cynicism never sounded so good:
I read the body count out of the paper
And now its written all over my face...
So when you're asked to fight a war thats over nothing
Its best to join the side thats gonna win
No ones sure how all of this got started
But we're gonna make 'em God damn certain how its gonna end
Oh yah we will, oh yah we will!..
Let's fuck it up boys, make some noise!
Eh, why not?

Listen:

2 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

Fab. I'd forgotten I'd even heard this.

Otter said...

I like Bright Eyes too. How's that for a COOL aunt.