Sunday, April 8, 2007

Say Yes

Say Yes by Elliott Smith

A bit east (or maybe west) of King Street in Old Town there is a graveyard and a National Cemetery. This cemetery is not as famous or as large as Arlington, but it exists. If the weather was some what nice, I might make my way over to this general area of Alexandria since it was quiet and green. It's weird area of town, it feels a bit rural and is very quiet. But one late March day I found myself there walking somewhat aimlessly on a Saturday. I was listening to this song and it reminded me of the Lou. By this point, I was over the Lou, but for some reasont this song trigger a few memories, probably because "Say Yes" is played in "Good Will Hunting". In a moment of drama I wondered if the Lou was my Skylar... this thought lingered Hollywood does this to me (and I assume pretty much everyone). A few weeks later I drove to Pittsburgh to check out their grad school. It was a Friday and about 3pm when everything at Pitt ended. I had a rental car. I decided to drive to Fairfield, CT to visit my sister but in the back of mine mind these words lingered: "I'm in love with the world through the eyes of a girl/Who's still around the morning after/We broke up a month ago and I grew up, I didn't know/I'd be around the morning after" Yes, "Good Will Hunting" was somewhere in me and it wouldn't go away. One last shot or chance with the Lou, after all she was just up the road in New Haven. I texted the Lou on Saturday around noon. The Lou got back to me as I was driving south on I-95 somewhere in Jersey on Sunday afternoon. I didn't really care, at this point I felt sorry for her more than anything else.

Listen:

No comments: