Thursday, April 19, 2007

What Ever Happened?

What Ever Happened? by The Strokes
Fifth Best Song

"What?!?!" you say! "The Strokes wrote one of the best songs! That's impossible!" And you may have a point. For all I know the Strokes wrote this song on accident. But I think it's mind blowing amazing. In literature there is this little device they like to call ring composition: a technique which places the meaning of a text in the middle, framed by a beginning and ending in parallel. The Iliad, The Temptist, and Beowolf all use it in telling their story. In a five act play, the fist and fifth act will mirror each other: the same characters, structure, and themes will be found, the second and fourth parts will mirror each other... and the third? This is the most important part of the play/story. And guess what "Whatever Happens" does? It's a song in ring composition. The song is in seven parts: the verses align near perfectly and are fine but not great, they even nearly match up almost word for word*. The middle features a pretty dope chorus with this pounding and thumping guitar and kick ass drums and then we get to the middle of the song: Julian's voice drops a bit and sounds painful when he sings, "You don't miss me... I know." In other words, if I'm right and Julian and the boys actually wrote this song as a ring composition, then this line is hands down the most important part of this song. Seriously, listen to this song and you'll see what I mean. Everything after those brutal, heartbreaking words seem not to matter, because all you're thinking is "You don't miss me, I know." Could there be anything worse?

Watch (when I first saw this trailer on TV, I was all pumped. I have yet to see the movie, but I'd like to):



*If the first verus was song last, as in the seventh part, instead of the sixth, I would argue that this is the greatest song of all time.

4 comments:

Helen said...

What an educational post. Liked the song too.

eotter said...

Copy Cat. Anywho, I am back it was a rough week. Hope all is well with you. Miss you.

Cedar Waxwing said...

We saw the movie this weekend. We were not impressed with the acting nor the storyline, but the costumes and set were beautiful and the music was great.

Otter said...

CW, it seems like a lot of people have said that, but I still want to see it. Maybe just because of Ms. Dunst.

ELO, glad to see you're back on the horse.