Saturday, May 5, 2007

Jo Jo's Jacket

Jo Jo's Jacket by Stephen Malkmus

In the time of Napster I would download just about anything. 'So and so is good?... okay I'll give 'em a spin'. If I liked them, cool. Maybe I'd buy the album. If not, whatever didn't cost me a penny. And this is how I started listening to Stephen Malkmus.

Of course it took a few years for me to finally actually listen to him. I probably download a few songs in 2000/2001. But it wasn't until 2004 when I finally was hooked. The iPod was on shuffle, I was in the backseat of the car, and this song came on... it's just so much fun. And I love fun songs. The lyrics are fun. The opening part is cool, and the guitar is addicting. I could see Malkmus and friends having a ton of fun in the studio recording this song... "electronic carcass"... "psycho-disco!" ... "Stay inside on Christmas Day/And make believe that you are my candy cane" and these weird ending lines where he talks about Dylan, but I'm not sure what he's getting at: "Bob Dylan sang in/"Its alright mama im only bleeding",/Everything from toy guns that spark to flesh colored Christs that glow in the dark/Its easy to see we got in too far and not much is really sacred."

BTW, Psycho-Disco sounds like a lame club or band... I don't have a clue.

Watch It (Who Doesn't love Cats on Drums?):

No comments: