Tuesday, December 23, 2008

#11 -- Best Songs of 2008

Sequestered In Memphis by the Hold Steady

Yeah sure I'll tell my story again.
In bar light. She looked alright.
In daylight? She looked desperate.

And it was over. I mean, as if Craig Finn ever need a little prodding to start telling a story. But hey, that's what he's here for, so...

What the Hell, I'll tell my story again.
In bar light. She looked alright.
In daylight? She looked desperate.

Jeff Tweedy writes lines that I'd kill to write, but Craig Finn is coming in a closer and closer second.

We all know this girl... and we all know the two guys in this situation: one of the guys will smile, and say, 'hey that's your problem darling'. The other will take full advantage of that desperation. The Hold Steady let our imagination run wild in these situations -- what does one do? Who does one end up with?

Personally, I miss Holly and the happenings at Penetration Park... but hey I'll take a rock anthem any day of the week. If life was a movie, we would all chant this song when it came on at a bar. "Subpoenaed in Texas, sequestered in Memphis!"

And I'd pay about a thousand bucks to listen to Bruce cover Hold Steady songs. That my friends, would be awesome.

Finally, in a year where indie band continued to suck, why can't they be more like the Hold Steady and other bands that don't try to reinvent the wheel? The Hold Steady know they're going to write amazing lyrics and tell great stories in their songs, so who cares what the music sounds like as long as it matches the mood of the words? The Hold Steady don't do anything Earth-shattering musicially, just nice riffs and a decent hook once in a while. And they sound great...

So what's wrong with music as the '00s end? Why have the bands moved away from the early decade simplicity of the Strokes, White Stripes, Hives, Hold Steady, even Belle & Sebastian and the Shins and so on and so on?

No comments: