Thursday, December 18, 2008

#17 -- Best Songs of the Year

The Rabbit, the Bat, & the Reindeer by Dr. Dog

I love the opening bars of this song... so much so that this song ultimately disappoints me. Every time that I think this song will blow me away, it gets a little boring. When the bridge kicks in and I get excited... only for the song to switch back to the main hook and it loses me again. The song drags on—it's thirty seconds too long.

This song has potential, but it wastes it. There is something missing, there is a direction that the song should go but it does not for some reason or other. Thus this song sounds more incomplete than anything else.

Unfair? Maybe. But most songs don't have potential, or at least they don't waste their potential. What's frustrating is that you love a certain point or part of a song with potential, so you can't fully 'break up' with the song since you want to hear that one part. You keep coming back for more even though it leaves you disappointed.

But I'm being harsh. This is a good song, it goes a lot of places and does a lot of interesting things. Many songs can't say this. And again, those opening notes of the song are killer.

No comments: