Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Shot In the Arm

A Shot In the Arm by Wilco

I think the opening lines pretty much say it all:
The ashtray says
You were up all night
I mean, who wouldn't give up an arm or a leg to write a line like that?

This is one of the more beautiful songs that I've heard. The song pretty much reaches out to everyone, we've all had that long night with someone - usually the relationship is doomed - but you plug away out of fear of what's on the other side and out of what was once was. This song covers all that:
You've changed
Oh, you've changed
What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore
I know I've had friends and now former loves who changed - usually this happens after I lost consistent contact with them. People change, or maybe better yet, their priorities change. They no longer want to be the lawyer, the spark plug who wants to change the world... maybe they become docile, settling for fifth or sixth place when they could have had first or second. Maybe most people do this... I don't know. Maybe we could all use a shot in the arm. Then again on second though, drugs probably aren't the answer.

Watch:

2 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

I would love to write a line like that.

Helen said...

So would I, although I must admit I would probably be unwilling to give up an arm or leg to do so.