Sunday, February 3, 2008

Your Little Hoodrat Friend

Your Little Hoodrat Friend by the Hold Steady

"I've been dusted in the dark up in penetration park./I've been plastered... But I ain't ever been with your little hoodrat friend."

This really says it all. I don't live the life of any of the Hold Steady's songs. But I can appreciate it. I can only imagine what it'd be like. I can appreciate the life style, and even thought it's not me nor most of my friends, it brings a smile to my face.

But it only gets better:
"Tiny little text etched into her neck it said "Jesus lived and died for all your sins."/She's got blue black ink and it's Scratched into her lower back./It said: "damn right I'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again."

Last Good Friday, I sat there at the service contemplating what Jesus' death meant to me. That Christ died for all of us... and as I sat there those words, in Craig Finn's voice sang out "Jesus lived and died for all your sins" popped into my head.

I felt bad. I felt like what I was thinking was wrong. Maybe it was Catholic guilt... maybe I'll be punished later in life - or death - and it's that's the case, I'll be pretty bummed out. Is it really my fault that Jesus' death lead me to thinking about Craig Finn's lyrics? He did go to Boston College, so we're both Jesuit educated... or maybe it's just our/my way of putting faith into perspective? I think I need to figure this one out still. We'll see what this season of Lent brings to the table and mind.

No comments: