Saturday, December 27, 2008

#9 -- Best Songs of 2008

Dance, Dance, Dance by Lykke Li

Every time I make a year end list like this, there is one song that starts at about #22 and ends up in the top ten... this year's winner is... Dance, Dance, Dance

This song has it all. That methodical, hard working beat which doesn't allow us to dance to this song on our own—rather you have to find a partner and it becomes a slow dance in the process. Hands on hips, flirty looks in each others eyes... dance, dance, dance...

Li's voice is shy, like the lyrics in the song which features one of those great lines that are easy to over look:
My hips they lie 'cause in reality I'm shy, shy, shy
In other words—Suck it, Shakira.

You never hear great dance songs that are so shy, so unsure of oneself... but when you think about it, most of us can't dance. Most of use don't dance unless we're at a wedding, where our self-consciousness is thrown out the window. Why we don't think like this at the club, I don't know, but it be what it be. Anyway, what's amazing in all this is that most of the time it's easier to dance than it is to talk... cus most of us are better dancers than talkers (and yes, this is an indictment on society). Dance, dance, dance...

And I liked what Pitchfork had to say about this song, so I leave with that:
Suggesting something can be so much more effective than coming right out and saying it. On this Youth Novels single Lykke Li uses movement to overcome her shyness and compensate for inability to explain herself. "Having trouble telling how I feel," she sings, "But I can dance, dance, dance." The song's music is equally understated and demure: a sliding bassline on an acoustic guitar, some mumbling sax, eventually a few backing voices to fill in the spaces. It builds, but only a little, and even at its peak it's a long way from abandon. For a while this year I kept hoping that "Dance, Dance, Dance" would get a massive remix, something that gave the hypnotic repetition and Li's purring coo the surging beat they deserved. But eventually I realized that the low-key production is a virtue. Your mind fills in everything that's not there, which further reinforces the song's focus on subtle communication: "When I'm shaking my hips, look for the swing/ The words are written in the air." --Mark Richardson

No comments: