Friday, June 1, 2007

Alone Together

Alone Together by The Strokes

This album, more than any other, captures those months and year that followed 9/11. I've touched on this before, but it was just so perfect. The urgency, the 'oh my God, I'm 20 and all I want is a fun and a girl'. Alone Together summed up those desires of lust. I love the line, "My life seems unreal, can we go back to your place" and desperately wanted to use it on a girl (sadly, or luckily, I never did or was able too). It seemed so perfect in January of 2002... we'd go out, have a few drinks, maybe dance in a punkisque way where she would more dance and I would stand there laughing, and then I'd say, "You know, life is just so unreal right now... wanta go?" It just made sense, it felt right, it was the way the world was at that moment. But in the end, I wasn't (and am not) that kind of guy. But man, oh man, it just seemed like the perfect way to fall in love back in 2001 and 2002.

Now, over five and half years after 9/11, these thoughts seem unreal. But there was a period of time when they were real. When life didn't seem real, when we were caught up in a mess of everything and not knowing what to do with it.

And the song peaks at the end:
The first time that I met your friends
And the second time I thought it would last
We all like it a little different

Watch:

2 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

I keep thinking I really need to start listening to the Strokes.

Helen said...

Entertaining post!