Friday, June 8, 2007

Summerteeth

Summerteeth by Wilco

It's not every day that great musicians write cheery songs about depressing topics. In fact, I think the list consists of two songs (at least to my knowledge): "Blue, Red, and Grey" by the Who (really Pete Townshend) and "Summerteeth" by Wilco!

Seriously, has suicide ever sounded so cheery? I know, M*A*S*H taught us that suicide was painless, but it wasn't cheery and peppy. This song is cheery and peppy. I like it, of course I pretend it isn't about suicide and I just like the lines "It's just a dream he keeps having, and it doesn't seem to mean anything". In fact there was a time in my life (about four years ago while in college) where I rewrote the lyrics to "It's just a feeling she keeps getting, and she thinks that they call it love." I like to call this playing it safe.

Listen:
I guess if you hit this link, it will take you to the song off of Wilco's website. Man, this band really is awesome, aren't they? All their songs on their website? You mean they're in it for the actual art and music and not the money? How great is Wilco? Seriously? Like Alan Alda great or only Gary Burghoff great?^

*We're sorry about taking a week off, but we needed it. We promise to be better at this with school over. Thanks for your coming back.

^We have never actually watched an entire episode of M*A*S*H.

2 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

All their songs on their website? That is awesome. I'm totally impressed. Love the sound.

Otter said...

I have always liked Wilco.

The more I listen, the more I like.

Glad to see you back. I needed to take a break too, the kids are finishing school this week.