Monday, June 25, 2007

Instant Pleasure

Instant Pleasure by Rufus Wainwright

If there was ever a song that should be the anthem of the of 21st century, this would be it:
I don't want somebody to love me
Just give me sex whenever I want it
'Cause all I ask for is instant pleasure
Instant pleasure, instant pleasure

Of course the song is being sarcastic. It's taking shots at the world, society, and culture that we live in. This is a song that would make Rollo May proud: sex is faceless, love is meaningless, physical pleasure is what we desire, emotions are not to be considered until after the fact and forgotten about then, and finally we want all this right now. Consequences be damned.

We have, as a culture, decided that we should act first and think second. This isn't always a bad thing. But in 99% of ones daily life, thinking before jumping is necessary. But at the same time, we have been able, thanks to money, medicine, science, and technology, to redo our mistakes. In an image conscious culture, the possibility to 'redo' or 'undo' our actions has allowed us to act before we think. This has lead to much fun.

Of course this leads to a lot of bad consequences - from car accidents to shitty investments to going home with someone you shouldn't be to shitty education and educational systems were the test is more important than knowledge or intellect - the moral hazard of these decisions has decreased over the years. Instant gratification rules the day. Can you make me a buck? Can you get me off? Can you get a high score than the one town over? I know I'm drunk and I know he's drunk, but we've got airbags baby! And if shit happens, we'll deal with it, even if it tears us apart, brings stress to our familes, and bring upon emotional distress. At least we can look back and say, 'wow that was a fun night'. It's a selfish world, and everyone else has to deal with it.

Think that all these folks get laid?
Do it cause their pain is great?
What you thinkin' anyways?

If drinkin' coffee's your idea of really cool
You can't expect no crazy chick to notice you
Just sittin there dreamin' instant pleasure
Instant pleasure, instant pleasure...

I don't want somebody to love me
I don't want somebody to love me...

Watch:


3 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

Excellent post. Funny to watch the video, though, as Buffy and Angel are so not about either drinking or instant pleasure.

Otter said...

Thanks. And the video is odd, but it was the best I could do.

Indigo Bunting said...

I know what you mean! Don't get me wrong. I love watching images of those shows...