Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Grace Kelly

Grace Kelly by MIKA



1) I don't think I've seen a movie which featured Grace Kelly.

2) I have been to Monaco, well drove near it at least.

3) This is a fun song...

4) We're drunk, well actually, she's more drunk than I am. It's early summer. We're walking back from Sheffield's. I'm not sure who we were hanging out with, in fact, it was sort of a weird night where I was too often sort of on my own, attempting to figure out how much she was into me, things were going well but then here she was all over the place. But alas, when it was time to go, and we headed out the door together. Any worries that I had faded those first steps west down the Lakeview street. And then she announced that she wanted to sing. I laughed... "What?"

"Oooooo, I don't know, sing something!" she said in a fun, drunk voice.

And out of no where it came to me: "I can be brown/I can be blue/I can violet sky/I can be hurtful/I can be purple/I can be anything you'd like/Gotta be green/Gotta be mean/Gotta be everything more/Why don't you like me?/Why don't you like me?/Why don't you walk out that door?"

And for the next two blocks we sang the verse over and over. A three minute walk home turned into ten minutes. There was excitement in the air and we were enjoying each other and the moment. No one else existed but us. There were hugs and lifting and looking into eyes and touching and kisses...

From that moment on, every once in a while one of us would burst out into song and we'd both stop and sing, smiles wide on our faces, slowly make our way towards each other, and as we sang "out that door" we'd find ourselves in an embrace. We had no worries when MIKA was being sung, he could make any problem go away.

But in the long run life isn't a MIKA song, it's a Wilco song. But the MIKA songs are out there and they are the ones that you enjoy the most... even if they are bittersweet.

No comments: