Monday, July 7, 2008

Elephant Love Medley

Elephant Love Medley by ummm, Moulin Rouge (Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor & Jamie Allen)



One of the better ideas of the last few years has been these mash ups that litter the Internets. From the Grey Album to half the non-whata-be-on-Pitchfork-someday bands on My Space, mash ups seem to be all the rage. And they're cool, fun, and interesting. Mash ups get a thumbs up in my book.

This classic from Moulin Rouge may be the best 'mash up' yet, even though one would never think of it as a mash up, but that's what it is. It takes a bunch of songs and combines them it to a wonderful ditty to the ears then call it a medley (or a mash up). Only a bitter cynic or a "player" could dislike Elephant Love Medley.

And I love this song, hopeless romantic that I may be, I like it all from love lifting us to where we belong to being heroes, just for one day... it gives me hope. That yes, love can win the day and will win the day. And what's wrong with that? Love and hope can get us though pretty much anything, and that's a wonderful thing. Ewan's eternal hope and quest for love is something we should all strive for in our lives.

EBS' best friend, Patty, and I would sing this drunk in DC five years ago now. I'd take the Ewan parts, she'd take the Nicole parts and it was always fun. Always.

No comments: