Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fake Palindromes

Fake Palindromes by Andrew Bird


I love this song. Love this song. Love Love Love Love this song. From the intro with the winding violin and the distant vocal nearly screaming "Ohhhhhh ohhhh oh", to the steady verse that builds and builds, back to that winding violin, then the beat and Bird's vocals build to this when it all comes crashing together:
And she says I like long walks and sci-fi movies
If you're six foot tall and east coast bred
Some lonely night we can get together
And I'm gonna tie your wrists with leather
And drill a tiny hole into your head

According to Last FM, over the last two and half years I've listened to this song more than any other song. Something like 200 times, though it's probably higher. And I never ever get sick of it. From the image of my dewy-eyed Disney bride, to the thoughts of formaldehyde and fratricide... and then that woman. Who is this woman? And why haven't I met her? Why does she sound so interesting, so perfect, so troublesome—like someone you sholdn't be involved with but can't help it because you want to know where she got that bruise? I'd love it if she said to me that she liked long walks and sci-fi movies. I'd quickly tell her that I am six feet tall and while from the Midwest, I've done my time out east. And hopefully we'd go back and she'd drill that tiny hole in my head.

No comments: