Wednesday, February 13, 2008

King of Carrot Flowers, Pts. 2 & 3

10 years ago, Feb. 1998, Neutral Milk Hotel's "In an Aeroplane over the Sea" came out. I was a sophomore in high school. HOWEVER, I did not know that this album even existed until like three or four years ago. So to say I was late on getting on train would be wrong... I missed the train. Here's the deal... I'm going to blog about pretty much every song on this album over the next few days. Why? Because it's probably the best album of the last ten years... maybe the last 15 years depending on how you feel about Nirvana and Pearl Jam and others. I'm not sure how this will turn out... but hopefully it will be enjoyable.

In the winter of 1998, I was a sophomore in high school. This was probably the worst time in my life, which now that I think about it, wasn't all that bad. I've been pretty lucky.

No matter, I was stuck during most of the school years. I was caught up in stupid school drama. My grades were so-so. I was a wise ass from time to time.

Anyway, in Feb. 1998 there was apparently an Olympics going on in Nagano. Sex and Candy was the #1 according to the Billboard's chart. I'm sure Torn by Natalie Imbruglia was on VH1 all the time. Everyone was talking about Titanic (which I had not seen but would seen soon) and Seinfeld was nearing the end.

This was probably my life. I don't remember too many day to day things - I remember the classes I took, but honestly I don't think that is too interesting. In fact my life wasn't all that interesting. This is sort of depressing now that I can think about it. My sophomore year of high school was normal in that "it totally sucked" kind of way. I survived and lived to tell about it. I'm not even sure there was a moral to all this. It just was.

And of course, Neutral Milk Hotel played no roll in my life then.

No comments: