Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Obvious Child

The Obvious Child by Paul Simon



Without a doubt, it's the percussion that dominates this song. At the beginning it sounds like near chaos, yet the percussion quickly gains order and then drives the song the rest of the way. Sometimes it lingers in the background, but usually it's pounding away, driving one of the more interesting and better songs out there.

Simon's always been a gifted lyricist, but I'm not sure what to do with this line:
"Crosses in the ballpark".
This is either one of the most symbolic American lines ever penned or it's crap. I'm not sure. I think it I like it.

And count me as one who enjoys the story of Sonny.

At times this is a beautiful song, one of Simon's finest. At other times, it really is a near perfect combination, or fusion, of the Latin American (Brazilian in this case) rhythm with Simon's song writing. And finally, there are times when the percussion, by Olodum, are the genius of the song. It's a shame this song is over looked when one talks about the Simon catalogue. It's right up there with his best.

1 comment:

Otter said...

You are so right.
Simon has brought so much to my musical table and enhanced my appreciation.