Sunday, November 16, 2008

Maybe I'm Amazed

Maybe I'm Amazed by Paul McCartney


On the "most overrated songs of all time" list, I think this song has to be considered. It's boring, it goes no where, they lyrics aren't terribly interesting... yet the song gets radio play and seems to be known by most people. Probably because it's by Paul McCartney.

But I can't stand Paul. He's a wanker who charges way too much money for his concerts, and his music after he left the Beatles was average at best. And he's an arrogant sob:

'It will help reaffirm McCartney's claim to have been the most musically adventurous of all the Beatles,' said Wilson this weekend. 'He told me he would love to release the track. All he needs now is the blessing of Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and George Harrison's widow Olivia.'

Oh really Paul McCartney was the most musically adventurous? Really? Since when? Since he's the only one alive? Because Lennon did more interesting and risky songs when the Beatles were together and George Harrison was an amazing musician and had his own unique sound that is so often overlooked by critics (imo). Why is it that all Paul McCartney songs sound like the greatest ditty ever written? Why don't they sound like mind blowing, 'I've never heard anything like this before' ala Radiohead?

Because Paul McCartney didn't write musically adventurous songs. He wrote "We Can Work It Out", "I Will", "I've Just Seen a Face", and "Can't By Me Love." Those are all great songs. But they aren't adventurous.

And neither is "Maybe I'm Amazed."

No comments: