Sunday, August 3, 2008

S.O.S.

S.O.S. by ABBA



Okay about six things to say about this on... let's do it one at a time:
1) I was driving today when I found this song on the radio... and I thought, you know what, there should be a radio station with good bad songs. Like ABBA. And Mellencamp. And Bon Jovi. And all those other cheesy acts that are some how really good.

2) I don't know who wrote ABBA's songs, and I don't feel like JFGI it, but that person was a genius. I would put the odds that ABBA's song writer was either Barry Gordie, Smokey Robinson, Phil Spector, Carole King, or Neil Diamond at 40%.

3) When it comes to songs about loves that are gone and the singer can live without that person... well this song is literally calling out for help. That's quite an accomplishment. "When you're gone, how can I even try to go on?" and then she sends out an S.O.S. This dude must have been pretty amazing. It's not every day when the girl is singing about how she can't live without the guy. This is a nice twist because I think we're all sick of the guy who's going to kill himself after right after he finishes this song about how he's going to kill himself because he can't live without this girl.

4) My favorite musical of all time is Momma Mia. Seeing that every musical I've ever seen is over the top and the plot is more improbable than the Cubs going 100 years without winning a World Series, I can actually sort of see Momma Mia being realistic.

5) Back to #3... I'll give girls/women credit here--they realize that guys aren't worth it very very early on in their love lives. And they're right. Every guy I know is an asshole, yours truly included*. So really, he's probably doing you a favor by screwing you over. But the flip side of that is that EVERY guy is going to screw you over, Ladies. And you know when you should worry? When he doesn't do anything assholeish or hasn't over a few months. Because that means he is and you haven't found out yet. In other words, when he isn't being a dick, he's doing something so dickish that he won't admit it or show that side of himself. Trust me on this one.

So, Ladies if you've got an Asshole and he does his asshole things and you can live with it, be thankful.

6) Get a load of this video... everyone in the band keeps smiling! They're happy! You have to look pained during a song like this! You can't smile during a song like this! ABBA IS NOT SELLING THIS SONG! I can't take serious. So forget everything I wrote here. Effing Sweden.

*I am not trying to get bonus points for saying this... I just know I fail. I try not to be, honestly, but then I do something really assholeish and I then I get disappointed. And no, I don't use this as an excuse.

No comments: