Friday, August 29, 2008

Loser

Loser by Beck



I was reading some where recently that this might actually be a more important song than "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Googling... Googling... googling... okay I'm sort of making this up. I guess Spin once said that Beck was "a generation's consolation prize after the death of Kurt Cobain." That's an over stated statement if there ever was one...

Anyway, Loser... I've never really been a fan. Sure it's catchy and musically it's a hard song to not like. But the lyrics have always bothered me. Ironic? Does that really matter? "I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me". It sounds stupid really—a throw away drunk comment at an pseudo-intellectual bar at 1:14a.m. which Beck turned into a song. That's what this song is and thus I can sum it up in one word: Pathetic.

1 comment:

mario said...

that was sort of my point...loser is a completely gimmick-laden song that could have easily been Beck's first and last breath in the mainstream...but it wasn't. part of his success should be attributed to his reinvention of himself...odelay! was a step in the right direction, but still predominantly Beck. sea change brought about the real shift, and from then on his work has been pretty consistent.