Thursday, April 23, 2009

Big Star

Big Star by Haley Bonar


She's got the voice that's for sure. And she can write a great tune... just check this out here. And at such a young age, I can't help but think we're watching one of the next 'big' female stars/voices along the lines of, dare I say, Neko, Liz, or Lucinda.

(I also thought Annie would be the next female pop star back in 2005/2006, but I'm not sure what happened there... label problems?)

But Haley's got the voice to do it. It's huge and it doesn't sound nearly as big on any recording as it does live.

I love the guitar on this song... it's chilling yet beautiful. Stragley, I get a lot of pleasure when I can't fully articulate a sound and the feeling that sound gives me. You can say that saying something like that shows the weakness that I am as a writer (and you'd be right), but at the same time as David Byrne said, "writing about music is like dancing about architecture." The best songs and the greatest music are those that one can't fully articulate. The feeling is too great -- much like love -- that it's impossible to fully capture what a note, or voice, really does to the pit of one's stomach. When we're upset -- angry or sad -- the inability to express our feelings creates frustration which leads to us becoming more upset. But when it's a good feeling? It makes us (or just me) want to explode, in a good way -- to be so over come with a lovely emotion that it feels good all over is fantastic.

Anyway, that back ground slide like guitar? It makes me feel like that. Throw in that voice, and as John Madden would say, BAM! And that's why I come back to music... for those moments when a note or the way someone sings a line that make me feel good all over.

If you were ever wondering if God Exits, the answer is yes.

No comments: