Tuesday, March 11, 2008

America

America by Simon and Garfunkel

At one point in my life, this was probably my favorite song. I was probably in 6th or 7th grade at this point and America by Simon and Garfunkel was my favorite song. America. I don't know what to make of myself looking back.

I loved the bridge into the verse where Simon sings "She said the man in the gabardine suit was a spy/I said 'Be careful his bow-tie is really a camera/Toss me a cigarette/I think there's one in my raincoat'" and in between there is some instrument sounding oh so bittersweet, and Simon's voice, when he starts up with the toss is defeated. I love it. One of my favorite parts of a song in all of music. I could listen to that for hours on end.

Also dig the story the song tells, traveling across the U.S. Who wouldn't want to do that? To just check out the country... see what's up. See what places and people are like - it's the hipster of course who wants to do this. "On the Road" all that stuff... the man who has no restraints and is limitless. A person I'd love to be.

Anyway, what a great song.

No comments: